Miz B at Shouldbereading hosts a weekly Wednesday meme called www wednesdays
To play along, just answer the following three (3) questions…
• What are you currently reading?
• What did you recently finish reading?
• What do you think you’ll read next?
1) I am currently re-reading Louise Erdrich’s The Roundhouse.
This novel is about a woman on a North Dakota Indian reservation who was raped and almost murdered. She has a husband and 13-year-old son named Joe. The story focuses on Joe, who tries to find and punish the rapist at the same time that he deals with all of the growing-up issues any 13 year-old-boy faces. The novel’s tone is serious, as you might expect, and yet there are also parts that are laugh-out-loud funny. Erdrich won the 2012 National Book Award for this novel, and rightly so, in my opinion.
I am also listening to Dennisi Lehane’s The Given Day. I chose this novel to complement my Boston trip; it is set in Boston at the end of World War I and is highly atmospheric of Boston neighborhoods. So far, I am enjoying it!
2) I recently finished reading The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin, which I wrote about briefly here.
I loved this book! The writing was beautiful, and the story of the main characters was heart-breaking. I would definitely recommend it.
3) Next on the list for one of my book clubs is Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger, a Minnesota writer. He mostly writes mysteries (of which I’ve read a few) but this novel is not a mystery. I’m looking forward to it!
What about you? What are you reading?